Thursday, June 10, 2010

Baghdad Cafe and Back to Damascus

This morning we visited some tombs and some more ruins which contained an almost perfectly intact amphitheatre. Then we got back on the bus to Damascus. On the way, we stopped at The Baghdad Café, which contrary to what its name might suggest, is not a café. The only food they sold was these strange little cookie biscuit things, which many of us purchased because we were hungry. After we got back, some of us went out to look around the market one last time before leaving Syria.

1. Quote of the Day: "Syria is like a playground for adults!" This was in regard to our ability to climb all over the ruins and other climbable structures during the past few days.

this is our guide, Nassr, in his element





2. Surprise: There are just some things I didn’t expect on this trip. I didn’t expect to see Greek influences so far out in the middle of Syria, but there were frescos of Greek mythology in the tombs we visited today. I didn’t expect to be able to go so close to the border of Israel, but we did when we visited The Golan. I didn’t expect to see a road sign directing traffic to Baghdad. But I did. It’s weird to hear so much about certain things and then be suddenly faced with them in reality.


3. banana milk: Back in the market in Damascus, they have these little stands where they sell fruit smoothies. I don't know the Arabic words for fruit and the man working at the stand I went to didn't speak English, so I just pointed to the bananas hanging from the ceiling. I'm pretty sure he just blended a banana and some milk, but it was really really good. I plan on making it for breakfast at home. So thank you, confused Syrian fruit smoothie stand employee, for teaching me the simple joy of banana milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment